What Are the Reasons For the Rise in Interest in Neuromodulation? – Conversations with Dr Martijn Arns, Neuromodulation Expert
Dr. Sanil Rege, Consultant Psychiatrist and Founder of Psych Scene and Psych Scene Hub speaks to Dr. Martijn Arns, Chief Scientific Adviser, neuroCare Group; Founding Director & Senior Researcher at Research Institute Brainclinics.
In my view, I think we are really [in psychiatry and psychology] facing a paradox shift. I think we are moving to a place which used to be dominated by the neurotransmitter models, the pharmacology model, in terms of antidepressants, antipsychotics, and other drugs. I the think what we’ve been finding out more and more, is that there is this homeostatic process where if you put something into the body for a long time, the body will adapt to it.
- The problem of treatment-resistance could be addressed using the new model of neuromodulation which entails deep brain stimulation
- Rather than developing homeostatic drive, neuromodulation taps into neuroplasticity, rewiring neural circuitry through learning
- Since 2010, research and development has been largely withdrawn from the field of psychiatry stalling the development of new antidepressants
- The brain cannot only be fixed through pharmacology and we need different techniques that are more targeted
- Neuromodulation techniques are a powerful way of interfering with brain activity with possibly fewer side effects than current therapeutic drugs.
- New Developments in Neuromodulation & Stimulation in Psychiatry – Dr. Martjin Arns
- Neurofeedback and The Role of Sleep in Psychiatric Disorders – Dr. Martjin Arns
- Number of Sessions & Pulses Required for Optimal Results of rTMS – Dr. Martjin Arns
- The Potential Side Effects of rTMS – Dr.Martjin Arns
- Localising The Exact Point of Maximum Stimulation For rTMS – Dr. Martjin Arns
- The Principle Behind Choosing The Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex for rTMS – Dr. Martjin Arns
- Key Differences Between High Frequency & Low Frequency rTMS Protocols – Dr. Martjin Arns
- Typical Response & Remission Rates of rTMS in Treatment Resistant Cases – Dr. Martijn Arns
- Key Differences Between rTMS and Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) – Dr. Martijn Arns
- Clinical Indications for Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) – Dr. Martijn Arns
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) in Depression – Conversations with Dr. Martijn Arns, Neuromodulation Expert
- How Did You Get Interested in the Field of Neuromodulation? – Conversations with Dr. Martijn Arns, Neuromodulation Expert