Psychiatry Exams – What’s the Right Mindset?- Dr Sanil Rege
This video is essential listening for anyone taking psychiatry exams in the future such as the RANZCP or MRCPsych exams. Dr. Sanil Rege has first-hand experience of both the exams and passed them the first time. He now provides training courses for the RANZCP exams and has developed online material for the CASC exams and Critical Analysis.
Author Quotes :
Don’t fret. It’s really an investment in yourself that will reap dividends down the track. It really will.
In the future when you’re going to be on your own doing private practice, this [4-MAT system] helps, because you have to think of different ways of addressing a single problem…
[In the MEQ] they’re not expecting you to say ‘I’m going to stop this medication,’-because if you do actually, then that’s a risky step to take… the examiners want to know if you weigh up things before you take a decision.
His talk covers the following:
1. Why exams are an investment in yourself that pays dividends in the future.
2. Perspective: Detailed vs Big Picture.
3. Learning systems–The 4-MAT way
4. Approaching the RANZCP Essay exam
5. Using the CANMeds model in case solving
In this section, Dr. Rege explains the model in terms of ethical dilemmas.
Take-home Messages :
- How to approach the exams is very important keeping in mind a good work/life balance.
- The skillset needed to pass the exams is diverse.
- Achieve a balance between looking at the big picture and being very detailed and don’t lose perspective.
- Passing the Modified Essay (MEQ) and Critical Essay (CEQ) Exam- RANZCP- Dr. Sanil Rege
- Essential Mental Models for A Psychiatrist – The Art of Complex Problem Solving- Dr. Sanil Rege
- Observed Clinical Activity (OCA) and MEQ – Passing the RANZCP Exam- Dr. Sanil Rege
- How to Appraise a Systematic Review and Meta Analysis in Clinical Practice- Dr. Sanil Rege
- Psychiatric Formulation and Management- Tips and Techniques- Dr. Sanil Rege
- A Summary of 3 Important Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders for Psychiatrists – Dr. Sanil Rege
- Principles of Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Medicine – Dr. Sanil Rege
- The Power of Serendipity and Multidisciplinary Learning in Medicine – Solving a Complex Clinical Case- Dr. Rege
- Techniques to Prepare For the EMQ and Critical Analysis (MCQ) Problems – RANZCP Written Exam-Dr Sanil Rege
- Psychiatry Trainee to Consultant Psychiatrist – Skills Breakdown- Dr. Sanil Rege
- From Psychiatry Trainee to Consultant Psychiatrist – Stages of Training for the RANZCP Exams- Dr. Sanil Rege
- What is Regression Analysis in Critical Appraisal? – Dr. Sanil Rege
- From Psychiatry Trainee to Consultant Psychiatrist- Dr.Sanil Rege
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) in Psychiatry – Neuropsychiatric Manifestations – Dr. Sanil Rege
- Neuroinflammation Simplified – The Link Between the Immune System and The Brain- Dr. Sanil Rege
- Pathogenesis and Diagnostic Indicators for Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) in Psychiatry-Dr Sanil Rege