Psychiatrist Analyzes the Netflix Documentary on the Burari Case – Was it Mental Illness | बुराड़ी
Dr Sanil Rege, Consultant Psychiatrist, analyses the mysterious Burari case.
This video is for educational purposes.
The video revolves around the Chundawat family who lived in the Burari district of Delhi. In July 2018, the family of 11 were found dead. Analysis of the diaries later revealed that each member of the household was assigned a specific task for the havan (ritual) preceding their deaths. The ritual is known as Badh Tapasya (banyan tree worship or penance).
The themes that arise from the analysis reveal the possibility of mental illness.
Dr Rege covers:
1. Genesis of depression
2. Psychopathology of Depression
3. Delusions and hallucinations
4. Psychology behind the formation of a cult
5. Differentiating between religious beliefs and delusions
6. Cultural expression of illness