Mirtazapine – Mechanism of Action and Psychopharmacology By Dr. Sanil Rege
Posted on: August 4, 2021
Last Updated: August 31, 2021
In this video, Dr Sanil Rege discusses in detail the mechanism of action and psychopharmacology of Mirtazapine. In addition, he provides insights in the use of Mirtazapine in clinical practice.
This information is not clinical or medical advice. Please discuss your medical needs with your doctor.
- Mirtazapine belongs to antidepressant class NaSSA (Noradrenergic and Specific Serotonergic Antidepressant)
- Mirtazapine works through α2 pre-synaptic antagonism and 5HT2A, 5HT2C, 5HT3 and H1 antagonism
- Alpha 2 antagonism increases serotonin and noradrenaline release
- Mirtazapine combined use with SNRIs is termed as california rocket fuel due to its significant NA and DA increasing properties.
- Mirtazapine recommended dose range
- Lower doses have a sedating property due to greater anti-histaminic effects which is also responsible for weight gaining properties.
- Clinical experience with Mirtazapine, managing side effects and principles of prescribing Mirtazapine.