Key Differences Between High Frequency & Low Frequency rTMS Protocols – Dr. Martjin Arns
Dr. Sanil Rege, Consultant Psychiatrist and Founder of Psych Scene and Psych Scene Hub speaks to Dr. Martijn Arns, Chief Scientific Adviser, neuroCare Group; Founding Director & Senior Researcher at Research Institute Brainclinics.
Author Quote :
There are some newer protocols coming along as well. There’s one interesting protocol called ‘intermittent Theta Burst Stimulation (iTBS) ’…What they’ve recently demonstrated and got FDA approved as well, is that they can now do a 3-minute TMS protocol that has a similar efficacy relative to a 20-minute 10 Hz protocol, which I think opens up many avenues for further research…
Take-home Messages :
- Remission and response rates remain consistent, regardless of the level of rTMS stimulation applied.
- 1 Hz and 10 Hz protocols are used to stimulate the right and left sides of the brain respectively when treating depression, although 1 Hz bilateral treatment has recently shown to be beneficial for patients.
- 1 Hz stimulation is considered to be the safest protocol and better tolerated by patients.
- New Developments in Neuromodulation & Stimulation in Psychiatry – Dr. Martjin Arns
- Number of Sessions & Pulses Required for Optimal Results of rTMS – Dr. Martjin Arns
- The Potential Side Effects of rTMS – Dr.Martjin Arns
- Localising The Exact Point of Maximum Stimulation For rTMS – Dr. Martjin Arns
- The Principle Behind Choosing The Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex for rTMS – Dr. Martjin Arns
- Neurofeedback and The Role of Sleep in Psychiatric Disorders – Dr. Martjin Arns
- Typical Response & Remission Rates of rTMS in Treatment Resistant Cases – Dr. Martijn Arns
- Key Differences Between rTMS and Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) – Dr. Martijn Arns
- Clinical Indications for Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) – Dr. Martijn Arns
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) in Depression – Conversations with Dr. Martijn Arns, Neuromodulation Expert
- What are the Reasons for the Rise in Interest in Neuromodulation? – Conversations with Dr. Martijn Arns, Neuromodulation Expert
- How Did You Get Interested in the Field of Neuromodulation? – Conversations with Dr. Martijn Arns, Neuromodulation Expert