Bridging the Mind-body Gap – Digital and Neuroscientific Approaches Q&A – Dr. Arshya Vahabzadeh
Dr. Arshya Vahabzadeh is a Harvard-trained physician-technologist specializing in pediatric and adult psychiatry, and family medicine. As an expert on the use of new technologies for mental health disorders, Dr. Vahabzadeh has over 20 national and international awards and recognized as a “40 under 40” healthcare innovator. He believes that a convergence of clinical neuroscience, data science, and exponential technologies, can result in transformational change for global mental health.
Author Quote :
Everybody here has value and this is something that I want people here to feel empowered about because the experience that you have is seeing patients, being around patients, doing research–you’d be surprised in Silicon Valley how valuable that insight is.
Dr. Vahabzadeh answers questions from the audience at the end of his presentation at the Psych Scene Symposium for Psychiatrists: Bridging the Mind-body Gap–Digital and Neuroscientific Approaches-in Melbourne, October 2016.
The first question is about how technology might be used to help therapists treat patients in remote locations and the area of virtual clinics is discussed. Explaining the pros and cons of telemedicine and telehealth, he explains how it already exists and will only advance in how it is delivered to address the shortage of care providers.
Moving onto the ethics of hosting patient data in the cloud, Dr. Vahabzadeh highlights the difference between cutting edge research and what is actually being used by institutions and hospitals.
Finally, he answers a question on the potential harm to patients from apps being used by patients but which are not necessarily developed ethically or with the appropriate research.
How does an app actually tailor treatment to a psychiatric patient?
- From Apps to Systems in Mental Health Assessment and Management – Dr. Arshya Vahabzadeh
- Frontiers of Psychiatry – Digital and Neuroscientific Approaches By Dr. Arshya Vahabzadeh
- Technology Advancements in Psychiatry – Part 2 – Dr. Arshya Vahabzadeh
- Technological Advances in Psychiatry – From Couch to Cloud by Arshya Vahabzadeh
- Technology and The Converging Paths of Mental Health – Dr. Arshya Vahabzadeh
- The Digital Conceptualisation of Depression – Dr.Arshya Vahabzadeh